First session of HypnoBirthing (6-6-11)

The first class started at 6:30 in our home. We are the only couple that signed up for this session so we get private lessons. The instructors name is Lucia Massey. She has been a midwife for over 30 years and is a certified HypnoBirthing instructor, one of two in our area. I located her through Full Bloom, our early pregnancy center here in Athens.

Joe and I read 80-pages of our book in order to prepare for the class. We have a lot more to read! We told the instructor a little about us-work, stress level, birthing preferences (water birth in Toccoa), our 3 midwives, and our plan to hire a douala.

We learned to breath last night using our diaphrams, which I will have to practice. My diaphram is compromised with a baby taking up some room. =) Anyways, I have to be able to inhale for 4 seconds and exhale for 8 seconds. I will do that when I have a uterine surge (also known as a contraction). That makes my uterus expand giving the baby room to move around and down. She said a surge can last anywhere from 45 seconds to 1 minute.

A balloon with a ping pong ball inside was given to us as a visualization tool. During the surges, we applied pressure to the balloon (uterus). The end result was the ping pong ball coming out the birthing path (canal).

There was one hypnotism and we both passed. She was telling us to do two things that contridicted each other. It was impossible to do both. We both did what we were supposed to do. =)

We did two relaxation scripts that relax our bodies. I did something similar when I was a counselor at a kid's grief camp in Clarkesville. When the girls got in their bunks at night, the counselors read a long script that relaxed their bodies so they could easily drift off to sleep. I've also done something similar with my students before the state testing. It helps with test anxiety.

Homework:
1) I have to listen to a CD with affirmations and choose my favorites. I will use those positive affirmations so that I am surrounded with positive thoughts and confidence the next few months. I will post them around the house and in the car, maybe my classroom so I can say them to myself. Once I pick them out I will let you know what they are.
2) Do all the relaxation exercises on a CD and pick out my favorite. Do at least three a week.
3) Joe and I have to create a visual of a place that he and I have been that we would like to take Lincoln one day. We have to recall the feelings while we are there, what it looks like, how it smells, and what we hear. We have to be prepared to tell the instructor next week. We will use that place duirng birthing so that I am relaxed as I visualize us there.
4) Practice inhaling and exhaling for longer periods of time.
5) Read more of our book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"