Port Wine Marks


So I was born with a red birthmark. Up until two weeks ago, that is all I thought it was- a strawberry birthmark. It started out smaller and has grown with my body. It is located on my upper thigh and measures about 2.5 inches long. As I have gotten older, moles have started popping up underneath it. I have already had one mole removed in the last couple years because my pants irritated it and I accidently cut it off while shaving...

Another large mole has grown and you can see other small ones forming. It hasn't really bothered me. I was a little self conscious growing up because children would ask questions about it. The only time it was seen in public was when I wore a swim suit.

I was watching The Doctors last week and they did a segment on Port Wine Marks. That is when I realized it was more than a red birthmark. Port Wine Marks are usually on the face, arms, legs, or truck and on one side of the body. It is considered a skin pigmentation problem and caused by abnormal development of blood vessels. They're pretty rare: 1 in 1,000 have them.I know three others besides me- my auntie, my niece, and Lincoln. Lincoln's is very light on his inner thigh. Joe recently confessed that he was concerned that Lincoln would have a dark one like mine on his face or something since I had one. The ones on the face cause emotional trauma because of the insecurity that comes with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"