Some days I feel like a cow

I read The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears and took a 2.5 hour breastfeeding class at Full Bloom during pregnancy. I knew that breastfeeding would be demanding as I am the sole responsibility for the nutrition of our baby. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand regimen. There is no schedule. When we see the signs of hunger, such at rooting and sucking hands, we know he is hungry. We try to feed him before the signs turn to crying. It could be 30-minutes or three hours after I fed him last. The important thing is to fill him up so the feedings aren't as frequent, but when he is going through a growth spurt, he may want to eat around the clock, which is telling my body I need to make more milk to accommodate his growing appetite. I see why so many women turn to formula either immediately or after a short time after trying. It is emotionally and physically draining most days. Thankfully, milk production isn't an issue I have had to deal with on top of the rigorous demands of feedings approximately every two hours. I do feel like I don't have much of a life right now besides eating (barely have time for that) and sleeping (intermittently).
There are so many factors with breastfeeding:
  • speed of milk flow
  • too little or too much milk
  • frequency of feedings (nipple stimulation=milk)
  • length of time spent feeding
  • breaks in-between breasts (we call intermissions here at our house)
  • relieving gas (burping and pooting)
  • milk digestion associated with urine and stool diapers
  • milk storage aka pumping
  • nipple confusion (breast vs. bottle vs. pacifier)
  • latch issues
  • positions
  • reading all the signals he communicates while he is eating (frustration, satisfaction, confused) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"