Vaccines

I was vaccinated as a child. I only remember a couple of them. My mom didn't tell us where we were going. Then we arrived at the doctor's office for shots. I remember I had to pull down my pants so they could give me a shot in my thigh. I was embarrassed and it hurt. I cried and I was given a lollipop.

Our midwife told Joe and I to get an influenza shot as soon as possible. She said it takes a while to build up immunity and since we have a newborn, the flu can be serious. Plus, I am a teacher who is around a lot of illness daily. Since being a teacher, my body is immune to most of what I come in contact with though. I have never gotten a flu shot. I was always scared to because I've heard people GET the flu after receiving the vaccine. I do not know that I have ever had the flu! I do not fear needles. I actually like donating blood and that needle is a lot bigger than any immunization needle. So for Lincoln's sake, Joe and I stopped at CVS one afternoon and signed up for flu shots. Our insurance covered it, which it costs only $25 if we had paid for it. I was given a special dose because I am nursing. Our muscle was a little sore the next day, but neither of us suffered any other side effects.

Tomorrow is Lincoln's one-month wellness check. In the hospital, we declined Hepatitis B. When we went to the pediatrician when Lincoln was 6 days old, our pediatrician, Miriam Blum, asked if we wanted her to give Hep B. I declined at that appointment too. Joe and I had considered not vaccinating Lincoln. We tend to lean to the more natural approach on a lot of things. The source of our information comes from other like- minded individuals. Athens, Georgia hosts a lot of liberals who live natural lifestyles. Our doula gave us an affidavit that explains our rights to decline vaccinations for religious purposes. It can be given to schools and daycares that require immunization records. Joe and I started discussing what our reasons would be for not having Lincoln vaccinated. Is it because we breastfeed and use cloth diapers so that is what we are expected to do? Do we believe that God will heal any illness Lincoln will get? Do we believe vaccines are dangerous and cause Autism? My reason for putting it off and being undecided about it was ultimately because I didn't want to see Lincoln cry while he was getting them! I know he is going to wail an ear piercing cry with red face where you can see his gums and tongue that has a long pause of breathless silence. I think he has to get 4 at the 1-month appointment. So my first thought was I can't stay in there with him. Joe will have to accompany him just like he did for his circumcision. Then I started thinking about it. I can't leave him when he needs me most. He is going to need to be comforted even if I hold him and cry with him. I can't make him go through it alone. So tomorrow Lincoln will be vaccinated...God, Be with Lincoln and me during the process! In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Sarah Hogan said…
I have lots of friends who don't stick to the suggested vaccination schedule as an alternative to not vaccinating. Instead of getting 5 shots at once (talk about wanting to cry with your baby), they space them out by a couple weeks each.
Rebekah said…
Thanks, Sarah! They only did one at the 1-month appt. and they are doing 3 at the next one!

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"