Which has the lesser risk?

We have three options.
1) Attempt a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
2) Have a repeat Cesarean
3) Don't have anymore children

1) There is a risk of a uterine eruption while trying to have a vaginal birth after a cesarean. The risk is less than getting in a vehicular accident. Not all facilities allow them nor insurance companies cover them. Many women that want to have a VBAC find a midwife that will support their birth at home or follow the strict guidelines of a practicing physician. VBAC's are considered "high risk" so if an obstacle pops up, you can be forced to have another Cesarean. These are my thoughts right now. I'd love to have a vaginal birth. I feel like I haven't birthed because I had a Cesarean. Joe doesn't understand that and women that haven't had a Cesarean do not either. There are many paths to birth, but I think if I do not try a VBAC, I will always wonder if I would have been able to. During Lincoln's birth, I wanted to have a natural birth, without medicines to speed things along or mask the discomfort. I think I want a vaginal birth more than a natural birth now so if I needed an epidural to hang in there longer, I might would consider it. I was opposed to birthing on my back and I understand that using medicine restricts you to a bed.

If I would have known that agreeing to a Cesarean would restrict my future deliveries, I wonder if I would have agreed. I didn't know that I may never be able to have a water birth now or give birth in a birthing center because of my choice to have a Cesarean the first time. I limited my options for birthing.
2) There is the option of having a repeat Cesarean. It's what a lot of hospitals require. It would be the "safe" route because I've done it before and I know what to expect. You can schedule your delivery date. Repeat cesareans still have risks too. There is still a risk for a uterine eruption. More risks involved for the mother. The only thing that makes this route comforting is assuring that we have a family-friendly Cesarean birth, also known as a "natural Cesarean". I'd want to hire a photographer/videographer to capture the moment, have the curtain lowered so I could see the baby lifted from my uterus, the gender would be a surprise, have skin-to-skin time, have music playing in the operating room, and delay having the cord cut.

3) To not have anymore children would be an escape from having to make one of the above decisions. Some days (when Lincoln is sick) that decision is more appealing. Truthfully though, I want to have another baby soon while all of this breastfeeding and infant stuff is familiar and a regular part of life. We also want Lincoln to have a sibling close in age and then be done.

There is really no right or wrong decision. There is a decision that is right for our family and now we have to figure out which one that is. I attend International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN) meetings so that we can make an informed decision. A lot of medical providers won't honestly tell you what your choices are or risks involved with either. Many women just do whatever their doctor tells them instead of researching to find one that will do what you want. I'll continue researching and asking questions until we find peace with a choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"