Exclusive Breastfeeding

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding up to the age of 6 months. My frozen milk supply started dwindling in January. Some days I would come home from work after double pumping three times with not quite 12 ounces of milk so we would have to thaw some for the next day. Eventually, there was one bag with 6 ounces left in the freezer. Around this time, Lincoln was turning 4 months. We went to the pediatrician and she said that anytime between 4 -6 months, we could introduce solids. My original plan was to only breastfeed for 6 months. Since frozen supply was low, Joe and I were contemplating supplementing with formula for a couple weeks so I could build up my supply. I couldn't bring myself to open a can of formula. So if I had to choose between solids or formula, I was more comfortable introducing solids early than feeding him formula. We waited until 4 months and 1 week to introduce Lincoln to solids. We purchased an organic rice cereal from EarthFare like our pediatrician suggested. We now grind up rolled oats and make an oatmeal for his breakfast.

Slowly we started boiling/steaming and pureeing his vegetables. By adding solids, I was able to continue breastfeeding, pack fewer bottles for his school, didn't have to supplement with formula, and we knew what he was eating by making our own solids. I've read that babies that breastfed are better eaters (less picky) because they have already tasted so many flavors from foods in breast milk by the time they start eating. There are about 18 flavors of breast milk!

I read an article recently about the benefits of breast milk. It pointed out that cow's milk is made for cows; whereas breast milk is made specifically for humans. When Lincoln is older than one year, we've decided to give him almond or soy milk and water to drink. Maybe an diluted juice on special occasions. We already drink soy milk at the house and have for years. I'm so excited about raising Lincoln making better food choices than we made. Now we have a commitment to eat just as healthy as him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"