Attachment Parenting- My baby isn't happy because of "luck".

So I said I would post about attachment parenting soon. It is a new word I learned and researched. Then this month, the topic is on the cover of TIME magazine, which has stirred a lot of controversy. It is fine by me because I like making people think and educating people.

Anyways, I first heard the term "attachment parenting" on one of the groups I "like" on Facebook... I think Full Bloom Pregnancy and Early Parenting Center posted an article and I didn't know what attachment parenting was. So I googled the term. Wikipedia said:

"Attachment parenting, a phrase coined by pediatrician William Sears,[1] is a parenting philosophy based on the principles of the attachment theory in developmental psychology. According to attachment theory, the child forms a strong emotional bond with caregivers during childhood with lifelong consequences. Sensitive and emotionally available parenting helps the child to form a secure attachment style which fosters a child's socio-emotional development and well-being. In extreme and rare conditions the child may not form an attachment at all and may suffer from reactive attachment disorder as defined in DSM-IV and ICD-10. Principles of attachment parenting aim to increase development of child's secure attachment and decrease insecure attachment.


Although there is research which shows that when mothers are taught to increase their sensitivity to an infant's needs and signals, this increases the development of the child's attachment security,[2] there are no conclusive empirical efficacy studies on Sears attachment parenting."

This passage reminded me of a psychology or human growth and development course in college. I said, "hmmm" and that was that.

Then my midwife posted this comic for my breastfeeding support group.


After I read this, I realized that I embrace aspects of attachment parenting (baby carrying, breastfeeding, co-sleeping) and I didn't even know it. I do not think I am an "extremist", but definitely an activist. You do not know how often I hear, "Lincoln is such a happy baby! You are soooo lucky!" First, of all my husband and I do not believe in luck. We're blessed! Secondly, I do not think it is by chance that Lincoln is happy. I think I take care of his needs and he knows he is loved. People probably argue that attachment parenting makes babies dependent, when it actually makes them confident.

A couple of weeks ago, my fb wall was blowing up with pictures of the recent cover of TIME magazine. The people that shared the cover on their wall are like-minded individuals with whom I am "friends".  I have yet to read the article. I've looked on shelves in several stores and have not seen it out. I can pay to read the online version, but I was hoping for my own print copy. Once I read it, I intend to interact with the text as I throw the whole attachment parenting concept on the rotisserie.

My next parenting post will be about homeschooling Until next time...
Rebekah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"