Milk Storage

Joe and I went on an anniversary trip to The Dillard House this past weekend. We knew we were going somewhere overnight for our 3rd anniversary. It depended on how much milk I was able to store up that would decide if we stayed away one or two nights. I figured I needed enough milk for 6 bottles for one night, which equals 36-42 ounces. My goal was to pump enough for two nights, which would total 12 bottles at 72-84 ounces. We decided to go on a trip the weekend before our anniversary rather than the weekend after which gave me less time to complete this task. With a couple days before the trip I pumped the last of the milk that I would be able to store. I ended up with 11.5 bags of frozen milk so we were able to go away for two nights. We were only going to be 1.5 hours away so if I needed to deliver more milk I could.

Of course, in my absence from my baby, I had to pump while we were separated. I was used to pumping three times during the weekdays while I worked, but I have never had to exclusively pump before. I was concerned that my supply would decrease since the pump wouldn't stimulate my nipples quite like my baby does. I brought my Medela pump bag with me while we were out sight-seeing. In transition to places, I would pump in route to the next destination. I tried to pump every 3-4 hours, longer during the night, but I did get up in the early morning to pump just as I would for feeding my baby boy. I was surprised at the volume I was able to express. I came back home with 43 ounces to replace the supply I used. I hardly use stored milk now, but it is always nice to have it on hand.

I will say that I felt some pressure trying to get enough milk so my husband and I could take a trip alone. (It was my first night away in 9 months.)  I had some cynics, "Just supplement with formula for a couple days." It was rewarding; however, to know that it could be done. Upon my return yesterday, there were even two bags to spare!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"