What to be

I've wanted to be several things when I was growing up. I still want to be something!

Bank teller
As early as I can remember I wanted to work the drive-thru window at a bank. I'm not sure what the appeal was. Maybe it was the woman speaking through a microphone, the dum dum lollipops she gave us, and the swooshing canister through the tunnel. The thought of working at a bank, counting money, and using math, would creep me out now.

Waitress
I used a Lego lid as a tray to carry food. I also would tap dance to a song, "She Works Hard for the Money' (while holding the tray). Today, I would be so intimidated being a waitress because you have to be extroverted for such a job and have PR skills, which I do not. I've worked in food service (Bruster's ice cream maker and a Winn-Dixie cake decorator), but not serving tables. If I were desperate for work, I still don't think I could do it.

Cosmetologist
When I was in the 6th grade, I saved up my money and bought my own mannequin head from a hair salon.  I named her Emily. I learned to french braid, used the curling iron, washed it, cut her bangs, shaved the neck line, and cut her hair more until she had a boy-cut. Once I realized that I would have to stand on my feet all day and engage in conversations, I decided cosmetology wasn't for me.


Fashion designer
By 7th grade, my close friend, Heather and I were going to be fashion designers. We wanted to open our own business in the Bahamas. I remember my dad saying something about them only wearing bathing suits down there. We'd draw clothes at home and bring them to school to discuss. I had this awesome kit with tiles/plates that you rubbed crayon over and then colored them. I just saw one in the store today and it made me want to buy another one for ole' times sake.

Graphology
At about the same time I was contemplating being a graphologist and a wedding planner. I was homeschooled and my mom took us to the public library a lot. I wasn't planning on going away to college, but I was considering a tech school or correspondence courses. I checked out books on handwriting analysis and asked people to do writing samples for me and then I would predict intentions in the writing and personalities. I didn't know how to go about officially studying graphology and for a career I would be studying suicide letters and statements from criminals. Penmanship is a reflection of a mind. It is still fascinating to me!

Wedding Coordinator
This is another interest that baffles me especially since I am practical. Weddings are pretty frivolous and people that hire coordinators usually have over-the-top weddings planned. I definitely do not have the personality to help people plan weddings. I was around 17 at this time and was hoping to get married soon. (Ha Ha! So glad I waited until I was 29!)

Missionary
In January 1998, I went to Southeastern Bible College in Lakeland, FL to get a degree in Church Ministries with an emphasis in Missions. Someone prophesied over me and told me that was supposed to be a missionary. I graduated a semester early because I took 21 credits toward the end and correspondence courses in order to graduate with all my friends. So I spent 3.5 years in college learning how to write and preach sermons, counsel people, live abroad, raise support, etc. Not many guys were in the Missions program. I was taking classes with men who hoped to be pastors of churches, as well as pastors of youth and children's ministries. I didn't date for those 3.5 years. Upon completion of my degree, I signed a contract with a boarding school in China to teach English, which is where the next career comes in.

Teacher
After my year in China, I returned to the states and was unemployed for 3 months. I ended up taking a teaching position at a private school that I attended during elementary school. I taught there two years and was sick of making $18,000. I took a job at USC-Beaufort and entered the Masters program in Teaching. In 2007, I graduated and took a position in Athens, GA. I've been here over 5 years now. I have 8 years experience now and in a predicament. I've been feeling burned out from teaching, but I found out this week that if I teach 5 more years in GA (for a total of 10), I can get a retirement check for life at the age of 60. So now I am considering staying in education a little longer for the benefits later. It could also knock off another $5,000 from my student loan. There is a lot to think about.

Business owner
I've been wanting to get out of teaching and do something I enjoy like own my own business. I was thinking about a yarn store, or a consignment shop, or another great idea (that I do not want to be stolen). I also like the idea of working from home with an online business, like Smocked Auctions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"