I need to get it off my mind

I've been wanting to write for a while. I feel like I start every blog like that. It's true. Everyday I feel like I need to journal so I don't complain on FB. Just like everything else in life; there is never enough time. I take that back. It's just a matter of prioritizing what time we do have.

I had two students stealing Friday. One, six Band-Aids! The other took someone else's library book from their desk and put it in their backpack. The Band-aid boy said repeatedly, "They were just lying there." I replied, "That doesn't mean they are free. We need to figure this out before you end up somewhere" (because this is the 4th known incident with this kid). Another kid responded, "Yeah, in jail!"

I have a 9-day break from school- Thanksgiving break. I am thankful for it! I am settling in and enjoying my job...finally. All the changes at once were rough on me emotionally-a new baby, the move, and a new school/district. With changing school districts, there is so much to learn. I used to be so overwhelmed by checking my email because there was something always due or a new program to log-in to. I didn't know where anything was. I came from a school district that I had known for 6 years and I was good at my job. I felt like a first year teacher all over again! I was also experiencing some post-partum depression, which not only makes functioning at a job difficult, but functioning in life. The school has a different system for evaluating teachers called TAP (Teacher Advancement Program). Basically, you get a bonus/pay-out based on the growth of your students. It's not about passing and failing, just an improvement. There are weekly 1-hour meetings called cluster that a master teacher instructs teachers on how to be more effective. We are given "homework" called bring back to do over the next week to talk about at the next meeting. I love cluster meetings. I learn so much and I could listen to our master teacher speak all day! And, I take what I am learning and use it and I am getting better. I have 6 observations during a school year (2 announced and 4 unannounced). On the first one, I didn't do well. There is a rubric for grading. I had a lot of 1's and 2's in September. I had my third one in November and I made 3's and 4's on a 5-point system. I say all that to say that I think 10 years of teaching is enough for me.

I hate bringing work home with me. I hate not being able to leave work at work. I have a few career avenues I'd like to pursue. One is my own business (no details) and another is a proposal my SIL and I are working on. Having a desk job at the district office is appealing to me. I do not want to give specifics with any of the ideas, but a career change is needed.

Not only did we have a new baby in June, but having a second baby is a brand new ball game. Our children are 21 months apart. Even with two parents, it is tough stuff. Actually, having a toddler is harder than having an infant! Seriously! We are dealing with tantrums, whining, ear infections, and potty training right now. That is just with L. Grey has been congested for two weeks, had a runny nose, teething, and an ear infection. She had to do breathing treatments for a week and she missed 4 days of school. I hate when people gripe about themselves and their kids being sick. Since this is my online journal, I have to mention it. All the sickness caused a strain on our marriage too. When your children aren't healthy and happy, nobody is!

Joe and I were talking about adoption and whether we could ever see ourselves doing it. We know you have to be called to something like that because it is a ministry. Some people do it for medical reasons, others because they have the passion for it. As of right now, we fall into neither category. I felt so much sorrow for a mother that gave her child up for adoption last week. Having carried and given birth before, I cannot fathom passing them off seconds after being delivered. While I am thankful she chose life, rather than the alternative, it seems like the grieving and absence would be the same. There is something that makes the cramping, exhaustion, dehydration, burning and tearing, and hemorrhoids worth it. That reminder isn't there for her. I pray the void she must feel is filled with comfort only God can bring!

We are hosting a Thanksgiving meal on Thursday night for Joe's parents. We have the menu planned and the food purchased. We are looking for some placemats and I want to make some name cards. We'll have the standard Thanksgiving with my family for lunch. We're starting to talk about Christmas shopping and decorating. We usually put the tree up the first weekend in December. I think that is still the plan. Last year we had a two-foot, gold tree on top of the television. I think we are going to put up the big one this year. Lincoln might be ready. This will also be our first Christmas celebrating as a family in our own home. Usually we are at my parent's house because we are just visiting. Now we live here. This is the time of year for traditions and I am excited about continuing some and starting some of our own. rlwh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"