Reflection from a friend

Our birth photographer owns a mama and baby consignment store in Athens. She wrote the following in her newsletter to her clients about Grey's birth:

Dear friends,

There are very few things in life that seem perfect. But on Saturday, June 22nd, I witnessed one.

I was invited to photograph a birth, a very special birth planned at home as a VBAC: vaginal birth after Cesarean. At 8:42 p.m., after putting my girls down and getting in my jammies, I received a text from Rebekah: “Water broke, everyone is on their way to the house.” Oh, my goodness!!! I turned to Danny, asked for permission to escape the house, threw on clothes (what do you wear to a birth?) and grabbed camera equipment. I was nervous. I said a little prayer everything would be just fine for the mama and the baby in her belly. And it was… picture-perfect. I saw the midwives of Morning Glory Childbirth Services listening to the baby’s heartbeat, using their wristwatches to count the beats and brewing coffee for the long night ahead. I saw Lucia, the doula, staring into the eyes of the expectant mother, reading her every move—offering the TENS machine, massage, water, and ice packs. I saw an expectant father communicating the great news to friends and family, feeding chicken broth, giving words of encouragement, and a tender kiss. I saw the mama, inhaling peppermint-infused breaths, circling her hips on the exercise ball, and smiling thankfully to her birth team. I ran home to nurse Nadine and take a nap, but before I knew it Joseph called me back. “She’s getting ready to push!” The candles were lit, the birth tub was filled and Rebekah was easing baby down and out. “Perfect,” the midwife called out. The baby’s head was delivered, chin out-stretched underwater proud; just gorgeous. I turned to Rebekah’s mother, my jaw dropped and I whispered “WOW!” Baby girl Grey Ellis was born at 4:11 a.m. at home with her older brother, Lincoln, sleeping soundly in the room next door.

Thanks to the Hayes family for letting me share this experience. I hope you all have the opportunity to witness birth in all its beauty, like I did.

Monira

P.S. I got permission from Rebekah and the midwives to use their names :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"