"Once you get rid of everything, you need it again."

No, I'm not pregnant. I've heard that quote said before. Supposedly, once you get rid of all your baby stuff, you end up pregnant, like you jinxed yourself.

I am not 100% sure we won't have more children, but I do know that I have a lot of clothes that do not fit the children that I do have. It is starting to pile up. I gave away the boy clothes 0-18 months recently to my nephew and a lady friend in our church having her 7th. Of course, Grey is growing like a weed and too tall for 6 months. We've been blessed with grandparents that go on clothing shopping sprees. That is the only time our children get new clothes. Everything we buy comes from flea markets or consignment stores (or given to us by cousins). I mean, how long do they actually wear the clothes? A few months, sometimes 2-3 times before it is too small or the season is wrong.


When we lived in Athens, we shopped at reBlossom Mama and Baby Shop when we needed bigger pajamas or shoes and seasonal clothes. It was a reuse store for baby clothes, gear, and maternity. I shopped there as much as could, not as much as I would have liked. I even worked there during the summers and some Saturdays for store credit. I consigned a few nice things before we moved because we had a girl and I didn't need them anymore. The owner buys your things from you and pays you right then. You don't have to wait for it to sell in her store. She knows what sells in her shop and her clientele that shop there so she only takes in quality merchandise. She sells it for about half of what it is worth and gives you a 1/4 of that. You get a very small portion, but she has to make a profit. Her business is organized and the transactions documented. I hated leaving Athens because I was scared I wouldn't find anything like it here.

I was right. Haven't been able to find anything like her store here in Beaufort. There is a mama and baby shop called Ali's Attic. I've stopped in before when we were visiting on holidays. I found a nursing pillow for $12 which was a super deal. Once we moved her, I took some things. Found out you can either consign or get store credit. The first time I decided I would try store credit. The high schooler poured my belongings on a table, looked at it for 15 seconds and said, "ummm, we can give you $12. She didn't look up anything and she didn't write anything down. As I was shopping around I found a pair of cute Stride Rite shoes for $1.99 and a pair of GAP shoes for $5.99. Again, that showed me that they do not know their product well. Stride Rite is an expensive, quality shoe. If there are high schoolers pricing things, GAP would definitely look like the higher ticket item. I've also dropped off stuff to consign. I've been told by my SIL that it takes forever to get a check. Ali's Attic says 3 or 4 months. She waited a year to get $60 something. It was recently communicated that they hired an accountant and ended up having to take out a loan to pay people for their sales...WOW!

So I have a lot of clothes and gear with a lot of life left. It is hard selling kid's stuff because there is always an abundance of it. So these are my options:
  • List it on a classified page
  • Have an auction
  • Have a yard sale
  • Donate it to charity
  • Give it away to someone I know
  • Open my own children's consignment store =)
What do you do with your old children's stuff?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"