What would life be like without it?

Television
When Joe and I lived in Athens, right after Lincoln was born, we limited watching television until Lincoln went to bed. Slowly, as he got older, Joe and I would turn it more while he was awake, even though he wasn't watching it. In the evenings after Lincoln was in bed, we had shows that we watched-Big Bang Theory, Master Chef, the Bachelorette/the Bachelor, the Biggest Loser, Survivor, Grey's Anatomy, HGTV. I looked forward to the evenings when we could sit and do nothing. We considered canceling our cable to save money. Cable was only $15 a month from Charter so there wouldn't have a lot of money saved. Time would have been saved.

So when we moved to Beaufort in July, Joe didn't have a job yet, life was pretty overwhelming, and we only had wi-fi connected. Transitioning from television to no television probably couldn't have happened at a better time. Grey was still colicky and had thrush. We were trying to figure out life with two kids and both of us starting new jobs. We were (and still are) trying to figure out finances. Everything costs more in Beaufort, tuition for two kids, and I make less. Thankfully, Joe is making more and it is consistent. In the evening now, I am doing school work, chores, or having chill time. Honestly, I don't know when we would watch TV if we did have cable. I do feel disconnected from the world. I do not know what is going on in the world, when the Olympics are starting, what movies are coming out, etc. I do think about my favorite TV drama (Grey's Anatomy) and wonder what is going on in the lives of the cast. I loved having a feminine, girly Monday with tea and the Bachelor. I am missing a lot of bad stuff too, like all the negative news headlines, for which I am grateful. Stopping cold turkey, without the transition from one house to another, would have been a true challenge.

I think this is the best decision for our family right now and I do enjoy knowing that it is possible to go without.
R
I have a couple other posts in the works- a follow-up from my January goals and the reveal of my February ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"