Counseling

I have been going to counseling once a week since December 29 for my adjustment disorder. I meet with a psychiatrist in the evenings at 7:30pm on Lady's Island. She works at Coastal Empire Mental Health during the day and does individual counseling at night and weekends. I was referred to her from the hospital because she is in network for my insurance.

She has a cozy little office with dim lighting and upholstered chairs. I sit on the couch with a bottle of water or cup of decaf coffee brought from home. I enjoy my meetings with her; the one-on-one conversation. Reflection is good for me. We talked about blogging/writing a few weeks back. This blog, 'If your a bird, I'm a bird' is so important to me and important for me. I write to get thoughts out of my mind. Sharing verbally with people doesn't come as easily. I'll share thoughts and feelings with my husband and with my counselor, but not with too many other people. It bothers me less for strangers to read this blog than people I actually know. We talk about happiness and connections with people. We talk about my childhood and the relationship with my parents. We talk about my teaching career and postpartum depression. We really talk about anything on my mind.

My counselor says the medicine is working for me and doing great things. My serotonin levels have increased, which has balanced out chemicals in my brain. She said short term usage is 6-12 months. During that time we will work on coping skills to handle stress so I will be better equipped for stressful situations.

If you are reading this, you will know me better than anyone.
R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"