TMI: "I'm a woman!"

I started my period when I was 11 years old, the August before 7th grade. It was a Saturday. I had been at a water slide all day with my aunt and uncle. I was left sitting on the toilet while my mom went to the store to get some pads. I knew women had periods. I saw my mom's feminine hygiene products under the counter.

I remember a story my mom told me about when my aunt started her period while visiting some family in NC. She said, "I can have babies!" Her family member responded, "Not any time soon you can't!"

When my mom asked if I had any questions, I asked if I could still run. That just shows you how young I was.
The first four pads I purchased from etsy
My periods were the same as most women- heavy days, cramping, and leaks. Started using tampons as a teenager and even tried the menstrual cup a couple times. In 2006, I started an eco-kick stemmed from an environmentalist boyfriend. When I moved to Athens, GA in 2007, I started using bandannas and socks as pads. It felt natural to me. Think about what they used in Bible and colonial times. I looked at patterns to sew my own cloth pads and ultimately ended up buying four pads from etsy. Cloth pads are an investment upfront, but pay for themselves in the long run. My favorite store is Eco Alternatives on etsy. When I have a birthday or make a Christmas list, I ask for them. My mom usually buys them for me. I still have the first four I bought from Creat8tiveMama (now Eco Alternative) for $22 so they have held up for 5 years so far.
The pads can be snapped closed for storage or after use
As the years have passed, my stash has grown. I now am a proud owner of 4 liners, 9 regular, and 3 overnight. I also have a wet bag for soiled pads. I use the kids old cloth diaper wet bag to hang in the bathroom. My husband just looooves that. I rinse the pads out and wash in the washer, just like I would my kids' cloth diapers. Removing stains can be done by bleaching in the sun. 

A wet bag for cloth pads
I'd be sad if my period went away. I feel feminine, one with my body and have an excuse to be lazy and dress in over-sized clothes. Cloth pads aren't discrete so not ideal for every occasion and outfit. I sure do feel like I am doing my part for the environment. Some people also use them for health reasons because of the bleaching chemicals in disposable to make them white. Many women report having shorter and less heavy periods using cloth. This is the article that convinced me to switch over to reusables. 

My Challenge to you: Buy one and give it a try! 
Have you ever considered using cloth before?
R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"