Learning to Spin

Not to be confused with the cycling class at the gym...

I have been curious about spinning fiber. Main Street Yarns and Fibers in Athens, GA offered a 2-hour class for $60. I never took it because I thought it was expensive. 

Add caption
My husband and I went on a mountain vacation a couple weekends ago. We visited a small town, Franklin, NC below Asheville, NC. Since snow was expected for Saturday, I recommended us going in town on Friday to look around. We hit Main Street and stopped in an outdoor store, an art supply store and yarn shop. At Silver Threads and Golden Needles, I saw that they offered spinning so I asked about classes and costs. It was $10 for a 1-hour class on a spindle and $15 for a 1-hour class on a spinning wheel. I couldn't believe how cheap it was so I booked a class right then to come back in 1.5 hours.


Spinning wheel
We visited more shops in the mean time and I went back for my one-on-one lesson.  I had a young instructor and with anything new, there is a little bit of fumbling and awkwardness at first. The muscle memorization and practice made the process easier as the hour passed. She said I was natural because I didn't tear the roving any during the drafting part. I didn't finish the whole ball during my one hour class, but when I bought a spindle of my very own, I got take the finished and unfinished fibers with me. I've watched a few spinning videos since then just to see the motions again.
The yarn I made in Franklin, NC
Roving
The next step I need to do is ply my yarn, which means twist another strand of yarn in the opposite direction. This will balance the yarn and get out "over twists." I am excited about the process of plying the yarn. My instructor said I could use sewing thread at first so I bought a fushia/plum color to contrast. I'm curious how it will all work and look when its completed. Make sure you come back to see pictures of the finished product!

What have you been wanting to learn? 
R



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"