Rx

I've been going to my counselor since December. I was going weekly, then bi-weekly, every three weeks, and now once a month. I enjoy going. Something I look forward to. I don't "need" it because she said I am helping myself make improvements instead of just expecting medication and counseling to treat me. For example, I apply for jobs and go to interviews. Joe and I are working on communication, parenting, our marriage, and weight loss. Counselors do like to monitor individuals even when they are doing well because if depression came back, most individuals won't ask for help once they get to a suicidal stage. It is a way of being proactive and seeing it before it is too late. Not waiting as late as I did last time.
Every visit she tells me to keep taking it. Even though I am feeling better and it is working, doesn't mean that I shouldn't take it anymore. Originally, I was told that a short term treatment is 6 months to a year. At my last appointment, she told that I should probably use it indefinitely, for the rest of my life. Not that I gave her reason to be concerned, but because I've had history of reoccurring depression throughout my life and it wasn't just this isolated event that caused it. The medication doesn't cost me anything and I do not have any side effects from it.

Grant it, life is stressful. Life is overwhelming. Bad things are going to happen. I'm thankful I have something chemical to help manage it.

Would you take an antidepressant?
R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"