The Semicolon Project

"We’ll start here: a semi-colon is a place in a sentence where the author has the decision to stop with a period, but chooses not to. A semi-colon is a reminder to pause and then keep going." 


I've struggled with depression on several occasions throughout my life. My counselor says I have reoccurring depression. I have been receiving out-patient services for 6 months and taking an antidepressant. Both have helped tremendously. When I heard about The Semicolon Project, I could not help being moved and making a connection with the movement. Now I want a tattoo. 

Henna design that she simplified for the comma

So I am going to form a semicolon using a mandala and some henna designs using brown ink as a permanent henna. I'm wanting it on my hand. I think it will be a design I love and a constant reminder of where I was and what a wonderful place I am in now. 




I made an appointment on Tuesday, July 21 from 2:00-3:00pm at Yes, It Hurts...Tattoos with artist, Angie Smith. The appointment before me ran over. The 18-year old girl had been crying. I thought, "What have I gotten myself into? I should have brought Joe with me." I have a high tolerance for pain. I've had several piercings and labored a baby naturally. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew I could handle it, even if for a short time. Angie was very kind and gentle. The tattoo look less than 30 minutes once she started. It was all line work. We talked about the water birth I had at home, which is one of my favorite topics. 
Angie's drawing 
Template and placement on my hand

All bandaged up afterwards
The tattoo the day afterwards. Can't see the design clearly here.

Loved the experience of getting my first tattoo and I love the symbolism behind it. Already have plans for another one. 
R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"