Looks can be deceiving

I had professional development yesterday at May River High. For my lunch break, Joseph met me outside so we could eat the lunches we packed. 

While I was waiting on the sidewalk for Joseph to arrive, a man approached me slowly saying, "Heeeeyyyy." 

I just looked at him because I was trying to figure out if I knew him. 

S: What do you teach? 
M: 4th grade
S: Wow! I could have sworn you were an art teacher. We need more teachers like you. Looks can be deceiving (looking down at his preppy clothes), but I am an art teacher. 
M: (laughing) I guess I kind of look like one, but l'm not.
S: Right on! Where are you from? 
M: Beaufort.
S: Wow, Beaufort doesn't have enough people like you. 
S: Well, hey, I'm Scott (shaking my hand). Where do you teach?
M: Whale Branch
S: Whale Branch...
M: Elementary
S: That's right, 4th grade.
S: I'm going to assume you didn't vote for Trump.
M: Okay
S: Alright, right on, it was nice meeting you (walking backwards away from me). 

My husband drove up during this conversation, but I couldn't get away from this guy fast enough. 

You see, I was wearing a mustard colored LuLaRoe Carly dress and colorful leggings with my gray and brown dreads on top of my head. I had a Lily Bloom purse across my chest. Tattoos adorned my arm and hand. Yes, I was colorful and eccentric, like everyday.

This guy was stereotyping me. I fit the image of a tree-hugging hippie. Actually, I am "granola" and "crunchy" in many ways. 

I did squat my baby out at my house in a pool of water, leave the cord attached for 3 hours, and then encapsulate the placenta. I breastfed my babies and wore them in carriers on my chest and back. We made them homemade baby food and used cloth diapers. I used hypnosis and relaxation exercises during labor. I teach them the medical terms for their genitalia and they know their birth stories. Our babies co-sleep. I use cloth pads from my monthly menstruation. I'm an advocate for women earning higher degrees and working outside of the home. We ask for our children not to consume artificial food dyes and we've embraced a life of minimalism. 

I try to take care of the environment because I believe God left us in charge after He ascended back to heaven. 

I don't think that oil drilling should be done on land or in our oceans. 

I don't support bearing arms in the home or carrying for self-defense. 

I might sound "liberal" based on those examples.

On the other hand, I am most passionate about issues on the conservative side. 

I support marriage between a male and female only. 

I support the death penalty as a form of punishment for criminals.

I support U.S. military and their families as they fight to protect America.  

I think the only people that should live in America are people that are born here or have legally qualified as a citizen following the appropriate process. 

Individuals suffering from illness and pain should not be able to request an assisted suicide.

Most importantly, under no circumstance- rape, irresponsibility, immaturity, medical diagnosis, or inconvenience- do I think a baby should be killed inside the womb. 

The Women's March? As a woman, I can buy a house, I can vote, I can work, and at this point I can murder another human being. Tell me again why women feel oppressed?

Some might argue, conservatives contradict themselves about the death of criminals and warfare vs. unborn babies and the aged. In my eyes, one is deserved and other isn't. 

I am a follower of Jesus Christ and I would choose to be a martyr if I ever had to make that decision.

These varying beliefs cannot all be put in one box, which is why you can't judge a book by its cover or even its title, for that matter. Things may not be as they seem.

This guy knew nothing about me, but was willing to bet I was just like him- liberal and artistic- because of how I was dressed.

Scott, I wish there were more teachers like me too. I wish there were more Christian teachers in the public school praying over their class rosters even before they meet the students. I wish there were more teachers letting their students share about creation with an Atheist and allowing  them to read devotions during read-to-partner. I wish more teachers saw their job as a ripe mission field. 

And, Scott, you assumed wrong.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"