The Great Christmission


As I get older I'm noticing I do not anticipate Christmas quite like I did as a child, or even a few years ago. In my opinion, that's not necessarily a bad thing. To me there are so many other priorities that trump decorating the house and sending out Christmas cards. Those things seem trivial compared to salvation and eternity.

My mind is thinking about my Chinese friends that are still living in oppression on the other side of the world. 

I'm thinking about family members that grew up in the church and know about Jesus, but do not really know Him.


...by their fruit you will recognize them.  Matthew 7:20

My heart is filled with compassion for the 18 girls in my class and their families. Praying that I can be "a witness in the silences when words aren't enough".   

I'm thinking about the Christians who go to church every week, but go just to see people or chat in the foyer. The people that walk in and out each week without connecting with God or fellow believers. The people that do not get plugged in and serve in some area of ministry. These Christians are in the most danger. 

So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about 
to spit you out of my mouth. Revelation 3:16

That is why I can't get in the "Christmas spirit".

As an adult I see how commercialized the holiday is. I saw lights and wreaths downtown way too early and it made me mad. On the same day as Thanksgiving, people go buy as much as they can. Kind of ironic, right? It's actually Black Thursday. 

Traditions.

Wearing new pajamas

Sleeping under tree

A family game

Opening stockings on Christmas Eve

Seeing Christmas lights

Picking out a tree

Reading the Christmas story

Baking Christmas cookies

Advent calendars

tradition is a belief or behavior passed down within a group with symbolic meaning from generation to generation.

Traditions can be heart-warming because you anticipate them. They're predictable. The thing about traditions is they are limiting, you become "stuck in a box". Doing the same thing the same way every year doesn't allow for growth or change.

My parents started a tradition of celebrating Christmas Eve with my father's side and Christmas Day with my Mom's side. 

Then you get married and there is your spouse's family to add into the mix somewhere. 

Then you have children and you have your own Christmas. The thing is, you are expected to continue participating in the traditions of your childhood even though you have your own family. 

I know other people have this same dilemma. 

You end up running yourself ragged for several days and buying gifts for people not because you want to, but because you are expected to. I mean buying gifts for people I don't even follow on facebook. This is the kind of gift exchange where you tell the person that drew your name exactly what you want so you are practically buying a gift for yourself. I can think of a better way to spend $20. 

You can't not participate because wrath will be bestowed upon you so you're stuck in this cycle of tradition. I don't know why we stayed on the 'hamster wheel' as long as we did. I'm envious of those who got off sooner. 



Last year, my husband and I contemplated going to the Christmas Eve service at church. Ha! We aren't afraid to switch things up! When we mentioned doing that, we got a "do whatever you want" for putting a wrench in "tradition". Needless to say, we didn't go to church. 
Joseph and I decided last December after all the family gatherings and gift exchanges to go out of town this year for Christmas. Hey, if we aren't here, we can't do it. 

"But the kids will expect gifts." 


Not if they don't know to expect them. 


My question is...when does the tradition cycle stop? This year. 

We have two, young impressionable children. I am so thankful Joseph and I have the same parenting philosophy about what we want them to value. The great thing about being parents is we get to teach the children what is important to God. 

It isn't about the number or value of gifts you get on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day or if you open the stocking before or after. God doesn't care about fancy dinner parties or sequin holiday dresses. He doesn't care about wish lists or Black Friday sales. He doesn't care about what day you put up the Christmas tree or if you put one up at all. 

Neither do I. 

I do know that God cares about lost souls and being a servant. We want the kids to look back on their childhood Christmases remembering all the ways they gave of themselves instead of being partakers of consumerism. I want them to smile in retrospect about the experiences they had serving at soup kitchens or homeless shelters, ministering to victims of human trafficking, abused women and children, displaced families, orphans, the elderly, inmates, patients, addicts, widows/widowers, unreached people groups, strangers in our own neighborhood...sharing the Hope to the hopeless...all year long.

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. 
Galatians 1:10

Ultimately, we answer to God and seek his approval so I have to remember that when critics dish out condemnation because we protest the cultural norm.   

"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." 
2 Timothy 3:12

When my son is standing at the fence telling the 4-year old girl next door about dying and going to heaven, I know we are on the right track.

My prayer is that our kids will find this tradition worthy of being passed down to their kids one day.
R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"