Martyrdom


The first time I heard about martyrs was when I learned about Joan of Arc. I think I watched this Hollywood version.

During my college years, I remember reading, She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernell. That is when I decided that is how I want to die. Not necessarily in a school shooting, but as a representative of Jesus Christ. Ever since that moment, I've had a peace that if I was ever given an ultimatum, I would gladly choose Christ.


The Insanity of God movie was introduced to me at a small group last year and then I participated in  the The Insanity of Obedience by Nik Ripken book study in a connect group. You can read about my thoughts on the movie here.


One day, I found a Hearts of Fire book in my Little Free Library in my front yard. This was before I left for my trip to China. I felt like the book had been planted there just for me! Rarely do I find a book in the LFL that I want to read so I snatched it out immediately. I skipped around chapters and read several stories of persecuted women from the around the world. So inspiring!

Then I discovered The Voice of the Martyrs website through church friends, which immediately became my favorite website. There are books, curriculum materials, videos, Bible covers, accessories, etc. Actually, I felt led to inform and educate others about the persecution going on in the world so I led a small group at church called i-am-n: Inspiring stories of Christians facing Islamic Extremists.


Acts 7:54-60 recounts the death of Stephen, the first martyr in the Bible.

Pastor let me borrow a book he was reading, Behind Bars with God: Unstoppable Hope for India. This particular man was kept in confinement with rats and bugs eating off him, no sleep or daylight, and little food. Lincoln saw me reading the book and asked about the cover. Jails and police intrigue him. We have conversations about the inmates when we drive by the county jail on Ribuat Road. We talk about how poor choices can result in going to jail. I make it a teachable moment about breaking rules and disobeying authority. So I took the opportunity to tell Lincoln about this man and how he went to jail for telling people about Jesus. I asked him, "Would you be willing to go to jail for loving Jesus?" His response was "I love Jesus, but I don't love him that much." He's only heard of people going to jail for doing bad things. Right? This whole concept on imprisonment and persecution contradicts what we warrant deserving of such a punishment.

According to Acts 16:16-40, Paul and Silas were beaten with rods and then put in prison because they were sharing their religious beliefs with others. Once shackled in prison, Paul and Silas were praying and singing worship songs as the prisoners overheard. An earthquake occurred shaking all the cells open and the chains loose. The jail guard was about to kill himself, thinking all the prisoners escaped before he realized that they were all still there. Because of this, the guard and his household were saved. Paul and Silas inspire me. Even in the midst of persecution, they still rejoiced and when they could have fled, they remained. As a result, the kingdom was increased!


I don't know how many times I've heard, "I just want to die in my sleep of natural causes." I've probably even said it myself. The ultimate death to me would be to make the greatest sacrifice by dying for Christ like He did for me.

How much do you love Jesus?
R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"