Spanish Moss Trail

It's ironic that what is liberating and freeing to one can be considered reckless and irresponsible by another.

I have this Bucket List that I revise and edit as needed over the years. Here recently I feel an urgency to mark off as much as I can. I'd say this "mid-life reborn" phase I am in is responsible for my doing things I've wanted or missed out on. Living life to the fullest is my motto right now. Why should my happiness be sacrificed? Circumstances, finances and people prevent these items from ever getting off the paper list into reality. So my mindset has had a tremendous shift recently and I've never felt happier.

Today I had the opportunity to mark a bullet off my list and I want to document it while the memory is still fresh in my mind.

Last night I checked the weather to see if the weather would cooperate for walking the full length of the Spanish Moss Trail in one day. The weather showed no precipitation after 11am, high 67 degrees, and cloudy. Sounded ideal to me. My father has been replacing the wheel rotors and brake pads on my car so I needed to get my car back from him anyways. Why not walk to get it?

I filled up a CamelBak with water, and filled the pockets with my house key, my wallet, a charger, ear buds, two snack packs with nuts, cheese, and fruit, hand sanitizer, and tissues. I wore a dress with cotton leggings, a sturdy sports bra, and Sketcher tennis shoes. I like Asics for exercises, but I wore what I had.

My house is near the beginning of the path and it ends near my parents' house. The distance is about 9.3 miles from what I researched. So I told Joseph and the kids I was going for a walk. I didn't mention my intention of walking the whole thing because I didn't want to be persuaded not to do it or have negative vibes sent my way. I honestly didn't care if people thought it was a good idea. I knew I was capable of it, its just walking. I've done about 25 races in my life, including triathlons and half-marathons, and a 3-day 100 mile bike ride. My mental strength and confidence is not a weakness of mine.

I walked to the beginning of the path with my Map My Run app going to track my pace, distance, calories, and time. Officially stepped on the Spanish Moss Trail at 12:21pm.
Beginning of the trail
I did send my dad a text telling me not to bring my car to the house because I was walking to Gray's Hill and that I would update him throughout the journey of where I was. I had just told him yesterday that I wanted to walk the whole trail and I would need one of them to come pick me up or I could call Uber. Since I needed to pick up my car anyways, I mean really it just seemed like a perfect opportunity!

As I walked, I thought to myself, talked out loud, and thanked God for ambition and determination to accomplish dreams. I thanked Him for the mental and physical fortitude to withstand challenges. I listened to a few songs on iTunes along the way. I waved and smiled to all the bikers and walkers. My toes started cramping up at mile 2.

I saw parts of Beaufort I've never seen from the driven highway. I crossed several wooden bridges over rivers, even the trestle my dad took my brother and I fishing when we were young kids.

overcast day was perfect for the walk

I never stopped to rest on a bench or stretch. I did squat to pee three times and take several interesting photos. I'd only walked a certain portion of the trail near my home so I was thankful to see the rest of it.     





These are bike tools and an air pump!
There is a point in the trail that it becomes deserted and you don't see many people anymore. As a matter of fact, I only saw 5 Caucasian male bikers for all those miles. This is where my mom asked if I wanted to be picked up and that she was praying for my safety.

I made sure I kept telling her where I was during this point.

"Just passed the USMC Air Station"

"Passed the Drive-In"

"I see the lights in the intersection in Gray's Hill!"

I wanted this bamboo, but these suckers were rooted in the ground.


The scariest part was Poppy Hill Road, which I knew it would be because I have taken students home down that road before. There was a yard that had pit bulls chained up all over the place right by the trail. I said, "Chains, please don't pop." At this point the concrete trail ends and gravel rocks starts. Clarendon Plantation's land is here so I am thinking that is why it's not paved. Anyways, my pace slowed because the rocks were brutal on my already throbbing feet and thin sneakers.

I texted my mom and told her I was almost at the end, getting ready to cross Clarendon Road.


I threw my arms up as if I had just finished a race when I made it to her car and she smiled and shook her head in disbelief of what I had just done.
Proud moment right there!
So it took me almost 4 hours and 10.58 miles for the walk and I can mark it off my list. No regrets. I would do it again. I got my car back after paying $260 in parts. As I drove back home, I saw Beaufort in a different light. Like I knew about it in a way nobody else did. Like I felt closer to the town. Once at home, a soak in Epsom Salt was in order. So I told Grey all about it while she sat in the tub with me. Now my throbbing legs are propped up and I'm limping around the house. Love the feeling of soreness after a workout.

People should be used to surprising decisions I make- like going to China at 21 and 37, giving birth at home. Today, I just walked across Beaufort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"