UPS Peak Season PVD

The last time I blogged it was about my horrible work conditions in the Beaufort County School District. My blog post was so poignant that the district asked me to remove it. It's okay, it had 106 views before I hide it and the intended audience was among those.

I am writing about the new adventure I have in my life right now. After working for a temporary agency for a few months at different local businesses, I decided the apply for a PVD for UPS. I am already an Uber driver so I thought it would be very similar, just transporting packages instead of passengers. I went to an orientation, they did a vehicle inspection. Vehicle can't have logos or bumper stickers, can't be a "hoopty" car with rims and low suspension, has to be a 4-door sedan or SUV. They check your 3 year driving record and can't have any moving violations, they do a background check, and there is a 2-hour paid online training. The PVD rate this year is $21/hour plus mileage at .54 cents. My first day was November 13th and Peak Season lasts until January 15th or so.

My assigned route is Islandton, SC. Had never even heard of it until my first day. It takes me about 56 minutes to get there before I can deliver my first package.

Day 1: My supervisor rode with me and gave me tips and walked me through typical days. I asked a lot of questions since I could. He gave me a small route with 22 stops that day. My car was the only car on the road. There were long driveways, fields of cotton, tobacco, corn, and hay, lose dogs in the yards, farms, black Angus cattle, pigs, goats, a donkey. Most of the packages were drop and go. Saw few people, but the ones I did, were friendly. Some questioned why I was delivering from an unmarked car. So I explained the peak season and PVD's helping the truck drivers with their routes in the rural areas. My hours clocked 7 hours and 10 minutes and 131 miles.
Trying on my uniform in the locker room
Day 2: I was on my own. I was given 28 stops. I found all the houses, delivered all the packages. I did have one man come get his trailer hitch from my car in nothing but a shirt. He was working in his shed half dressed. He thought I was Jehovah's Witnesses and apologized if he offended me. I clocked 6 hours and 51 minutes and 143 miles.

Day 3: I showed up to work on Friday to find that I had been given 2 more neighboring cities. I guess there weren't as many packages for Islandton so they wanted to get the most out of me so I was given 38 stops today with 55 packages to Hampton, Varnville, and Islandton. This route took me a while for a couple reasons. I didn't leave work until 11:10am and then I had to deliver to an unfamiliar area and more stops than I had ever had. It was also rainy and muddy all day. Despite all that, I still loved it. I told my supervisor, "You are trying to see what I am made of today!" I was mud bogging down some of the roads! Then on the way home, I had to get some gas because I'd used more with my longer route. I clocked almost 9 hours and 165 miles. My recliner, blanket and favorite TV shows were calling my name!

A truck flew by me and splattered my car...
Day 4: Again, I delivered to Hampton, Varnville, and Islandton. For a Monday, I was surprised I only had 33 stops. My route was going by quickly until I got to a couple stops that I couldn't find house numbers on houses...I didn't want to take the chance of leaving the packages at the wrong house so I verified with my partner truck driver whose route I am making lighter for peak season. He told me which house was which over text and then I was off and running. I saw two LIVE armadillos on the side of the road. I clocked 7 hours and 143 miles today.
I love the cotton fields!
Things I love about this job: Don't have to prepare lesson plans or do anything work-related at home besides wash my uniform. I get to work alone, which is a huge plus. I have a lot of time to reflect and think about life. I can listen to music while I drive around. I get a sense of accomplishment when I deliver a package to correct location and mark it off my list. I feel a sense of responsibility to get the packages delivered as accurately and quickly as possible. The pay is also a plus.

Well, speaking of work, I have to get ready for Day 5!
R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"