30-Day Writing Challenge: Write something that someone told you about yourself that you never forgot

Day #2: Write something that someone told you about yourself that you never forgot.
https://lifeentirely.wordpress.com

I can think of two statements that were said to me, about me. One positive, one negative, that come to mind immediately when I ponder that question. 

I had my wool dread extensions in my hair. I do admit that I can pull them off easily. They are good for me and my confidence. I had been neighbors with an African American woman for many years. Her mom, only 10 years older than me, would visit occasionally. She once had natural dreads. We’d greet across the yard when she was in town. One visit, she told me I “look as hot as hell”. The compliment lit me up, especially coming from an older black woman. And I believed her. 😍



The second comment made to me about myself was my father. This was 2004. I was making $18,000 teaching 4th grade at a private school. It felt like a dead end job and no avenue for advancement. I worked at a surf shop over the summer, chose not to return to teaching. My boyfriend was a guy from Oregon that I’d met online on eHarmony. He was flying me out to meet him. A family offered for me to teach their grandson at their home- live with them, teach and tutor their grandson. He was my previous student. I accepted the offer. Because I wasn’t in the mission field, using my bachelor’s degree, seemed like a wanderer, I got a letter in the mail, while living in the same town, from my dad saying I was living life “like a derailed train.” I read it and headed over to confront my parents. One of the many times, I didn’t quite live up to their standards and expectations.

Day #3: What are your top 3 pet peeves?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"