Pretty Ears

What is your opinion of babies/toddlers getting their ears pierced?

Realistically, adults are making a decision for them. Like choosing to circumcise your son for your son. Okay, maybe it is not quite the same...It is making a body altering decision for them that ultimately they should decide for themselves.

My parents wouldn't let me get my ears pierced until I was 12 years old. Their reason was because they wanted me to be able to take care of them myself. 1) Apply the alcohol and 2) Rotate the studs so they wouldn't stick. Not sure why 12 was the golden year.

Just because my parents didn't want me to get my ears pierced as a baby doesn't mean it would've been wrong if they were done sooner or that I have to wait that long to get Grey's little lobes pierced. She sees my dangily earrings and says "yeah" when I ask her if she wants earrings like mommy. Does she know what I am truly asking her? So I pinch her lobes really hard with my fingers and she says "ow wheee". Then I ask, "Do you want your ears pierced?" Head shakes no.

I think little babies look really pretty with earrings in their ears. I will be honest though that I think about blood piercing screams as a result of infants unaware of why they are experiencing pain, much like administering vaccinations.

Ear piecing is a personal decision and can be made controversial like any other topic-politics, breastfeeding, discipline, sexual orientation, and homeschooling.

Update post

R



Comments

Anonymous said…


Loved reading about your adventures as a family. Saw your query asking mom's their opinion about having babies/toddlers ears pierced. Your story of getting your ears pierced at 12 reminded me of begging my mom when I was 5 when I wanted it done. All my friends had it done. They told me it was going to hurt and I shed a few tears. Since I had so much anxiety, I always said if I had a little girl, I would do it early.

Fast forward to having a toddler, Sandi, aged 23 months and trying to decide whether or not to have her ears pierced. As you said, "...just because my parents didn't want me to get my ears pierced as a baby doesn't mean I have to wait that long to get Grey's little lobes pierced." Sandi saw my earrings and said "pridy," and I want "earwigs." Admittedly she only knows she wants to be pretty like mummy, but what wrong with that? I kept asking myself if should go ahead. My husband always wanted me to do it since she was a little baby, but I wanted to wait.

Fast forward to asking our pediatrician. Surprisingly, she encouraged me to go ahead as a toddler and even gave me some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced. She said it was better when mommy could care for them rather than relying on little girls not to play with their earrings or properly care for them. I was convinced, and followed her tips finding the right person and place. Sandi barely shed a tear and smiled when she saw herself in the mirror afterwards, I knew that I'd made the right decision by doing it now rather than waiting till she was older and had "high anxiety," like I did when I was 5.

Since you've posed the question of having your daughter's ears pierced, I don't think you have to wait till she is older. Your mommy intuition is telling you to do them now. Mom, its time to go ahead and let your toddler look pretty like her mother.

Looking back, I don't know why I agonized about doing it since she is so adorable. Now she loves matching earrings to her outfits. Why did I wait so long?

If you or other moms would like our ped's suggestions, then drop me an e-mail.

Amy

Amyswor1765@gmail.com
Rebekah said…
Thank you for your perspective on ear piercing. You made true points about me being able to take better care of her wounds while they heal. Also, she would be less anxious at 2 years old when she less aware of what is happening.
Anonymous said…
Appreciate your kind things about my comments. After my pediatrician reassured me doing our daughter at two years old was best, I was relieved. Furthermore, Dr.Price said she wouldn't remember anything so that was another plus for doing it sooner rather than waiting till she was older.

My decision was made to go ahead, but I kept my eye out for little girls with earrings. I was suprised how may babies and little girls UNDER the age of 2 already had pierced ears. Seeing how adorable they were reinforced my decision to go ahead. Sandi and I were very pleased with how cute she looked afterwards.

Hope my comments helped with your decision. Let me know if you have any questions.

Amy

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"