Fabulous Girl Boutique


On September 1, I posted on my blog about getting Grey's ears pierced. There was a stranger that commented on my post and gave me some things to think about.

I asked on a natural parenting group for facilities that do ear piercing. I didn't want to take her to a box store or Claire's in the mall. My mom took me to Modern Jewelers, which was classy place. Someone in the group told me about Fabulous Girl Boutique. I went to their website and it seemed like such a special place to mark a milestone together. I scheduled her an appointment for 4:00pm on September 10.

I picked her up from school early, which is supposed to be a good thing, but she was running around chasing bubbles on the playground. She was not happy that I interrupted her playtime. She screamed and cried the whole way to the boutique. In my mind I'm thinking, "Today may not be the best day to do this."

I planned on eating a cupcake from the sweets bar after the piercing, but it ended up being done first so she could settle down and relax a little.
She sat in my lap at the bar as we shared a lemon cupcake and bottled water. She said, "Mommy, take a picture of me" so that is why she is cheesing at herself on the screen.
While we were sitting there eating our cupcake we were given the selection of studs to choose. 
I showed them to her and let her choose. She chose the biggest, shiniest, sparkly, pink ball. I probably would have gone with the silver ball, but I like the one she choose to. The owner sanitized and prepped while we finished up. 

Grey started out in the chair while her ears were getting marked for the placement. I had prepared her that ear piercings hurt so I think she sensed something was getting ready to happen so she wanted to sit in my lap. She sat completely still for the first hole. Then she screamed her head off, sweated a lot, and of course didn't want the other ear done. I had asked that they both be done at the same time, but that wasn't possible. I asked what people usually do between the two holes and she said that they either hold them down, walk around to let them calm down, or come back another time. I would say about 15-30 minutes passed and she held her hand over her bare ear pretty much the whole time letting us know that she did not want the other ear pierced. We had to redraw the marker on her ear because it sweated off. I told the technician to get ready because I was going to restrain her by holding her limbs down. I was not leaving with one earring to come back another day and do it all again. 
At home, smiling at last
As she slept the first few nights, she would sleep face down or on her back so she wouldn't lay on her ears. As I write this 20 days have passed since Grey's ears were pierced. She has not been cooperative letting me clean her ears. She screams all over again. I sneak in a twist of the stud every now-and-then. She is very cautious of her ears, even now. She wants me to be careful when I take her shirts off. Her lobes look really good and clean. They didn't get crusty or red. The earrings look beautiful on her.

I do not regret taking Grey to get her ears pierced. Yes, I do believe there is some temporary emotional damage done. I think the trauma will improve over time. This particular age (26 months) probably wasn't the most ideal time though. She is at an in-between stage where she can't unknowingly sit there like a newborn and willing like a 5-year old. There are other medical procedures, like circumcision, vaccinations, and ear tubes, that I have more remorse over. 
R

Comments

Anonymous said…

Always enjoy reading your blog and following your family. Your daughter is just too adorable with pink sparkle earrings! Loved how she picked out the biggest and most shiny earring!

Like you, I'm unsure whether or not to get our just turned two year daughter, Missy, ears pierced. My sister asked me to let Missy be the flower girl in her wedding in December. Have always wanted to get her ears pierced, but waited for one reason or another. Know she would look adorable with a little white dress, and pearl stud earrings down the isle. Suspect she would be so pretty in all the wedding pictures. Have to admit, I'm torn what to do...

Was very interested in your experience with your daughter getting her ears pierced at near this age. Sounds like you were a very thoughtful mother doing a lot research where to go making it a wonderful experience for her growing up. Read your earlier entry and knew you were on the fence like myself. However, the advice of that stranger was very supportive. Agree she did make a lot of sense. Wondered if her comments might have been a pivotal moment in going ahead or something else helped you decide to go ahead now?

Have to admit when you said, "..I do not regret taking Grey to get her ears pierced...there are other medical procedures that I have more remorse over," was very helpful to me even with a little drama having them done. Admit I'm now leaning on going ahead. If Missy is just half as cute as your daughter her cute little earrings, then I'll know I've erred on the right side of the question, " ...To pierce or not to pierce?"

Suspect she is very proud of her earrings and gets lots of compliments on them. Any other thoughts, suggestions. Any helpful hints welcome.

Angie
Rebekah said…
Angie,
Thanks for reading my blog. I see the number of people viewing it, but I don't know who they are. Do you have a blog I can subscribe to? I love reading blogs, but the people I follow do not post often. I blog for relaxation and therapy.

I forgot to post a picture of her certificate so I've added that.

I did decide to proceed with the piercing because of the reader's comments. However, she does not let me put cleaning solution on her ears. She will dab it on there herself rotate the studs for me. She doesn't want me to do it though. She's in that stage of independence right now anyways.

I would suggest the piercing be done with both ears at the same time if possible. I want to know how it goes if you do go through with it.
Anonymous said…
Just a short note to let you know thanks to you, I got Missy's ears pierced. She did great and looks totally precious with little pearls. She is going to be the flower girl in my sister's December wedding and will be wearing little pearls in her ears with a white dress!

Followed your advice and took somewhere other than the mall, i.e., Sweet and Sassy. Would love to share the complete story and send a picture as well. Drop me an e-mail if you'd like to hear more.

Again thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with your daughter.

Angie
angietune@hotmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Mastocytosis (Urticaria Pigmentosa)

Adjustment Disorder "Stress Response Syndrome"

Hypomelanic Macules "Ash leaf spots"